Debates in class

                                                                        (credit)


Useful vocabulary

Starting the debate

First of all, I'd like to say that...

To start/ begin with....

As everybody knows ...

It is widely known ...

Many people think ...

Giving your opinion

I think/ believe...

In my opinion...

Personally I think...

As far as I'm concerned...

As for me,...

As I see it, ...

Agreeing or disagreeing

I  agree with you.

Yes, that's true.

I think so, too.

You are right...

I see exactly what you mean...

You may be right, but ...

I don't (really) agree.

I disagree with you.

I don't think so, because...

I don't know, actually, I think...

I know but in my opinion...

I see your point,  but I think...

That's all very interesting but the problem is ...

Yes, I understand but my opinion is that...

I'm afraid I can't quite agree with your point  because...

The problem with your point of view is ...

On the contrary! /Quite the contrary!

It's just the opposite.


Interrupting to say something

I'm sorry to interrupt, but I'd like to say that...

Excuse me, but that's not quite correct...

I'm sorry, but you misunderstood me/my point...

Sorry, I just have to disagree with you...

If you don't mind, I'd like to ...


Finishing the debate

  To sum up, here are the main points …

  Let us recap the main points…

  Let us summarize our position in this debate...

 
In summary, we want to point out that…




  

This entry was posted in ,,. Bookmark the permalink.
Powered by Blogger.